Soldering iron

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Soldering iron

Postby quickpix » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:04 pm

I noticed that Bruce uses a Hakko soldering gun.
My questions is: if you had it to do over again or just wanted to buy a soldering gun for the RC hobby, which one would you buy? :D
quickpix

Re: Soldering iron

Postby quarry44 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

I have an X-Acto 25w iron i bought 40 years ago,and it's still works perfectly.The only bit that needs replacing once in a while is the copper bit.
I also have a cheap 100w gun,and a 100w plumbers iron!
For hobby use a cheap one is good enough,but I suggest getting a small one (<25w),and a big one(100w>) for those 4mm gold connectors.They seem to need a lot of heat to get the solder to flow on them.
Oh,and don't use lead-free solder,it's rubbish.
quarry44

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:21 am

I recently had to buy a New Soldering iron after my trust old station gave up after 20yrs of good service,

So not having allot of money for the same type unit I got one of these 40W Temp Controlled Soldering Stations from jaycar electronics $59.95 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TS1620&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=953#1

An ideal entry-level soldering station for the hobby user. This station comes with a lightweight iron with anti-slip grip and tip cleaning sponge, with temperature adjustment up to 450°C. It also has a 4mm banana socket connected to mains earth for soldering static-sensitive components.

Temperature range: 150-450°C
Power: 40W
Jolly-Swagman

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:58 am

Just had to replace mine as well... I got the one from HK, $14.50 + postage..

Arrived yesterday and I used it this morning to solder the battery connector on Tx...

If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby kaptain_zero » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 am

It's hard to go wrong with a Hakko FX-888. I have the FX-888 and also the older Hakko 936, for those jobs where 2 irons come in handy, but admittedly, that's not typical hobby use.

If you happen to live in NA, the FX-888 can be had on sale for around $85 which is cheap for what you get. There are lots of clones out there, but the ones I've looked at are not that great... Short stiff hand piece cable, cheap tip, poor heat insulation (thin rubber instead of foam) and sometimes questionable internal construction. Also, if buying a clone, watch the wattage... Not all of them are what they claim to be.

Do you need something good?!?!? In hobby use, a Hakko would be a one time purchase for the life of the owner.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby TECH GEEK » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 pm

If your looking for a decent soldering iron, I recommend this one from a site called SparkFun.com

It may not be a $15 cheapo iron from hobbyking, but you'll get a iron with comparable quality to a hakko, if not better. Also SparkFun.com has the best customer service I've seen yet on the internet. (They even have a once a year event where the actually give away 1,000 $100 gift codes good for SparkFun.com buys!!! If you can find a better retailer experience, I'll send you $100 bucks.)
TECH GEEK

Postby quarry44 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 pm

If you read the first question under the ad,you'll see they don't have,and are not planning,a 220-240volt version.This eliminates about 2/3rd's of countries in the world!They also make the point the shipping outside the us would be prohibitive.
quarry44

Postby AshleyB32 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Just letting everyone know that the hobyking soldering iron works relay well for the money not as good as my HAKKO 936 witch i have but for the price you cant go wrong if your after something for hobby use
AshleyB32

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 am

I bought a second one when they got them in the Aussie warehouse even cheaper.
Now I can do two handed soldering...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Keith wrote:I bought a second one when they got them in the Aussie warehouse even cheaper.
Now I can do two handed soldering...

You must have been quick :shock: , I have been trying for 3 mths but keep missing out................ :roll: :lol:
Just one question, please, is the cable very flexible. My current cheapy has a cable that remembers all its' kinks and I keep whiping out other stuff :oops: on my desk when soldering. It is a pain in the butt to have to clean off the work desk just to solder 2 bits.......... :x

"Two handed"......wow... :?: ....... :ugeek: ....or....... :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year...... :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Next

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)