Foam suppliers

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Foam suppliers

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 am

Ok, so I've come across this site and some plans and build videos for an FPV platform.

http://www.mygeekshow.com/theairplanes/Nova.html

Sure, it's not the prettiest of planes and the guys can be a bit too geeky at times in the videos. But it's a start!

So my question is this. Can anyone point me in the direction of an Auckland supplier of appropriate foam board for this project? I'm wanting to see how much I am looking at cost wise for a few sheets and comparing that cost to some of Hobbykings FPV platform offerings.
Hal9000

Re: Foam suppliers

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 am

Last edited by Hal9000 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hal9000

Re: Foam suppliers

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 pm

The product used by mygeekshow for that model is standard extruded polystyrene insulation. In NA it's available in thicknesses from 6mm up to 100mm or more. I think he cut his parts out of 2" or 3"?!?!, roughly 50mm - 75mm thick sheets. I would assume that NZ and AUS also have these sorts of insulation sheets in the local building supply centers. Just remember you want extruded, not expanded polystyrene. Expanded types are the white foam beads stuck together.... It lacks strength compared to the extruded stuff.

For those in NA and Canada who are looking for a nicer alternative to fanfold foam or cheaper than Depron, there is the new "Model Plane Foam" available from of all places: http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

I've ordered 2 cases from them, the first one I picked up across the border at a mail drop I have there, the second I had shipped all the way to my door in Canada via USPS/Canada Post. From now on, I'm having mine shipped to my door... well worth the few extra $$$. For those outside NA... I suspect closer suppliers will be cheaper as shipping outside NA gets pretty pricey.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)