Coming: Hitec Aurora 9

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Coming: Hitec Aurora 9

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:14 am

I've just received a Hitec Aurora 9 which will be tested and reviewed shortly.

I'm glad I actually got my hands on one of these because I have to say that they are a lot nicer than I expected.

Already having an Eclipse 7 and an Optic 6, I was expecting another "plastic box" from Hitec and, looking at the radio in pictures on the web did nothing to dispel that assumption.

I have to say that once you get one in your hands, they make the earlier Hitec radios feel like toys.

Now I'll set to and start checking it out, doing some tests and writing a review.

If anyone has any suggestions as to areas you'd like closely examined then fire away.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Coming: Hitec Aurora 9

Postby hazzbro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:44 pm

1) I have an A9 and have switched to a 2s1p 3C 7.4V lipo bat. I don't do this but can they be charged through the charge port? Would be nice to not have to remove the battery to charge.

2) Gimbal /stick adjustments and tensioning. Also, how can the radio be easily and quickly adjusted from Mode 2 to Mode 1 (stick adjustments along with the software changes)? Haven't done this but it would be nice to add to the review as at several events I've run into Mode 1 guys wanting to fly my demo planes.

3) Perhaps this is beyond your initial review but it would also be nice to see how the various telemetry options work with the A9's screen. The Hitec website photos look good but I don't know of anyone who has been able to get the various sensors and interface yet.

4) Upgrading the software. I just ordered an HPP-22 PC Interface so I can upgrade to the 1.07 software. I understand this same device is used to update the Spectra 2.4 Module and Optima 7 & 9 Receivers. What about the Optima 6 channel receivers? What are the risks in the upgrade process, etc.?

5) Trainer cords and compatible radios/buddy boxes. I haven't tried this yet but will an Eclipse, Optic 6, etc. work with the A9?

Just a few ideas beyond the normal thorough reviews you do.

I have both the A9 and an Eclipse with the Spectra 2.4 Module as well as several Optima 7 & 9 channel Receivers. So far I have been very pleased with the quality, features, and performance of Hitec's new 2.4 systems.
hazzbro

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make sure I address those points in the review.
RCModelReviews

Postby hazzbro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:41 am

Bruce,

Here's one thing you might add to your review...The HPP-22 PC Programmer needed for upgrades to the A9, Spectra models, and receivers comes with the cables to hook it up to the Hitec equipment but not to the PC! They require you to go out and buy a USB A to Mini B 5-pin cable. Good luck finding that cable. I just bet most people won't be able to easily locate one...I'll be looking for one tomorrow locally.

Hazz
hazzbro

Postby eclipce » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:01 pm

When do you think you have the review done?

hazzbro wrote:1) I have an A9 and have switched to a 2s1p 3C 7.4V lipo bat. I don't do this but can they be charged through the charge port? Would be nice to not have to remove the battery to charge.

I think it's save to remove a lipo battery when you charge it. Image that your lipo will explode in your tx!
eclipce

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm still working on the A9 review. The techy aspect may take longer because a lot of folks have been asking about issues such as latency etc.

Now, if I didn't have to earn a living as well as do this stuff it would be easy :lol:
RCModelReviews

Postby hazzbro » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:21 pm

As a follow up on the HPP-22 PC Programmer ... I found a cable (ends up being the same cable my Cannon Mini-DV camcorder uses, and was supplied with the camcorder). The upgrade process was fairly straight forward but the receivers didn't always load w/o restarting the process (got stuck at 33%). This seems to be the case when you don't answer the last pop-up that tells you the process of upgrading was complete. This needs to be answered before plugging in the next receiver to upgrade.

Also I didn't realize that the Optima 6-channel receivers cannot be updated. There's no data port nor support for them in the HPP-22 PC Programmer software for them as far as I can see. Only the 7 and 9 channel receivers are upgradeable.

Other than this my A9 is now at rev 1.07 and my receivers are at 2.0 and all seem to be working fine.

Hazz
hazzbro

Re: Hitec Aurora 9 telemetry sensors

Postby mgua » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi to everybody,

I received my new Aurora 9 yesterday. It has firmware release 1.06, as seen from the info menu of the system panel.
I also ordered HPP-22 device for connecting radio to pc and also the HTS-SS Sensor Station, but these devices are currently unavailable and will have to wait.

I am excited about its telemetry features, and I am planning to study the protocol used between the sensors and the receiver. I think it could be an I2C protocol.
Will definitely try to find some more information.

On the piloting side, my idea is to build a small datalogging interface device to be used at fly field, to be connected to the data port of the spectra AFHSS module, so to log telemetry data to flash memory.
The flash memory could then be read on the pc.
I think that such a project could be very useful for Hitec Aurora9 users.

What do you think?
Anyone interested to do some coordinated hacking?

I will also post updates on my blog: http://marco.guardigli.it/2010/09/hitec-aurora9.html

Smile!
Marco
mgua

Postby eclipce » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:28 pm

I got my aurora 9 yesterday and i love it!!!!! i ordered also 2 extra receivers and the hpp-22. Luckely i ordered the hpp-22 becouse when i got the A9 it was in german. And i can say that my german is even worse than my english :lol:
eclipce

Postby TomVe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Could you please include the following in the review:
- Quality of the switches. Some people complain about too much sideplay.
- Linearity of the servo outputs. Some people complain about built-in expo and non-linear response of their ESCs.
- Latency consistency. Does latency depending on settings, current screen?
- Heli features. Some people complain about missing features like electronic swash ring and servo sync. Does it really matter?
- Contrast and quality of screen. It does seem slightly less contrasty than competitors.
- Internal build quality. Are solderings, wire strain relief etc. in good workmanship?

I have a feeling that some of these issues are more in peoples minds, so it would be nice to have an unbiased review of thing.

Thanks.
TomVe

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers