Hobby King

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

How do you rate your satisfactioin with HobbyKing's service?

Excellent
21%
Good
46%
Average
9%
Fair
9%
Poor
15%

Total votes : 181

Re: Hobby King

Postby ergocentric » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Daithi wrote:"I hate the way they advertise this radio as a 9-channel system when (in 2.4GHz configuration) it is only an 8-channel system."

Actually it's 8 channel in PPM mode - it's 9 if you use PCM (the ER9x flash is the same - 8 channel PPM and 9 channel PCM)

and eight channel in 2.4GHz mode, the way most places sell it?

the same as my Futaba 9Z! and that design is only twenty years old.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby Daithi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

2.4 GHz isn't a 'mode' - it's a frequency. the MODES are PPM and PCM (Pulse Position Modulation and Pulse Code Modulation)

The default settings in the 9x is PPM which is restricted to 8 channels (and is the one needed for flight sims and the bundled receiver). Pulse CODE modulation is an option and will give you 9 channels if you have a compatible receiver
Daithi

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:33 pm

But it's advertised as a 2.4GHz 9-channel radio.

It's not.

It might be a 35MHz or 72MHz 9-channel radio -- but it's not a 2.4Ghz 9-channel radio.

I have some of the PCM modules/receivers but I don't think they even make them any more.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 1Eye » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Since i started buying from HK on the whole i have not had to much to grumble about, however a couple of things: i bought a micro heli that arrived without problems but it had a bad servond did not work from the outset,just got hot, after the usual emails,pictures ect HK asked that i send it back and they would investigate, they would not send me the parts to repare so i was saddled with the postage(not cheap from cyprus!)for something that was clearly faulty from the factory! this pushed the price of the heli way too high and i did not feel that it was worth it so i requested a refund which they gave. i don't believe the customer should pay the postage when something is clearly faulty from new!!
the second thing is that i baught the composite 90mm hawk which arrived with a broken wing! again pics and emails and they agreed to send replacement, it has now been nine weeks since and still no wing! i am sick of the lack of respect and being fobbed off all the time with polite emails.
I have also posted on the hawk build logg on rc groups:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535558&page=85
1Eye

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 pm

HK very rarely seem to send replacement parts for models that get broken in shipping or handling -- there are stories on their forums of folk waiting a year or more and still being told to wait -- while HK continues to sell the same model.

I think part of the problem is that many Chinese manufacturers simply aren't geared to sell parts -- they only sell complete models. Even if HK orders a new wing, chances are they won't be supplied because the factory only ships complete models.

It could be argued that in the name of good customer service, HK ought to take a wing from a whole model that's in stock -- but then again, they operate with razor-thin margins so that would effectively kill the profit on the next 10 sales because they'd have 75% of a model they can't sell.

As always with HK -- it's "never spend more than you can afford to lose" and the warranty is "until the product breaks".

I have no problem with that -- although I wish they'd be a little more up-front about their inability to honor the warranty they purport to offer.

This is also why I don't buy *expensive* things from HK. I can afford to be out of pocket for a few servos or lipos if they arrive broken or fail in the first few minutes of use -- but I prefer the "peace of mind" associated with buying things like gas engines, large models and other expensive items from companies that may charge more but do have a *useful* parts and warranty.

HK has its place and I still buy the vast majority of my stuff from them. However, I am smart enough to realize that every purchase is a bit of a lottery and sometimes you lose.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Keith » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:37 am

Very true Bruce... In about 120 orders the only thing I was disssapointed in was a $2 pin vice that would not hold the bit... Just lucky I suppose...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby quarry44 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:01 am

I'm not paying $14 for a y-lead,when I can get 5 for $4 from HK.Worth the wait.Of course,to bring the parcel up to a reasonable weight,I had to order more stuff.There goes the bank balance again,he he he.
quarry44

Postby S-rob » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm realistic about delivery times, and will wait up to 6 weeks just to get the bargain prices.
But I do want to know whats happening with my order. If theres a delay, that OK, just let us know.

Listen here HK, putting a courier sticker on the box DOES NOT MEAN ITS BEEN SENT !!
Id like to see some honesty here. I sent them a email & a message in their forum, they tried to blame HK Post. 2 days after I sent 2 messages
my order had been 'picked up' from the warehouse.
So it sat it their warehouse the whole time it was marked as sent on their website.
They also dont seem to stock some parts they list on the website as 'in stock'
Ordered a Kinetic, turns out I need to wait an extra 6 days while its gets sent from the 'other warehouse' to the main warehouse for shipping.More delay's
phew, rant over :P
S-rob

Postby quarry44 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm a bit dubious about the whole Chinese tracking system.My AXN parcel showed as hving been picked up,then supposedly sat at the airport transfer facility for 9 days!Then 2 days in flight :? But,it's in NZ now,so,whoohoo,it should be here early next week.
quarry44

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:19 am

quarry44 wrote:I'm a bit dubious about the whole Chinese tracking system.My AXN parcel showed as hving been picked up,then supposedly sat at the airport transfer facility for 9 days!Then 2 days in flight :? But,it's in NZ now,so,whoohoo,it should be here early next week.

You are not the only one, I've had orders sitting for days at times. Usually it happens around holidays etc.
Kris

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)