V8 v other

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

V8 v other

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:41 pm

I've been wondering for some time now for the penny to drop as to the FrSky naming convention for their parts.

The number one issue for me is what is the difference between (in their words)

"# 2.4GHz V8 Series
# 2.4GHz Two Way Series"

:?: :?: :?:
AltechMYOB

Re: V8 v other

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:17 pm

V8 series is what you might call one-way,e.g. 2.4 without telemetry,for everyday flying
Two-way includes telemetry capability,but other items are required to make it function,such as hub,sensors,etc.
Two-way is geared towards FPV.
quarry44

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

quarry44 wrote:V8 series is what you might call one-way,e.g. 2.4 without telemetry,for everyday flying
Two-way includes telemetry capability,but other items are required to make it function,such as hub,sensors,etc.
Two-way is geared towards FPV.

Hi friend... thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this quandary seems to predate (if memory serves, tho I could be wrong) FrSky's announcement of their telemetry models. I seem to recall from the very start (meaning from the first time Bruce spoke highly of them, I went to their website, about 1 year ago I think) the V8 range was there with no difference that I could ever work out. I remember that it in some way maybe the range was aimed at 'petrol heads' if you're familiar with that term, tho considering their country they probably are not even aware of that part of 'western' culture! :)
AltechMYOB

Postby quarry44 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I think i see what you're getting at with the V8 naming.I haven't seen too many V8 engines in model form,and the ones that are around were built primarily as an engineering exercise,rather than in a working rc model.
Hence I doubt Frsky were aiming at the lovers of V8 engines.I would have to agree there is no rhyme or reason to the V8 name as such.This seems often to be the case with Chinese product aimed at the west.Come to that,the name Frsky doesn't really make a lot of sense to me either.But their gear is top notch in my book,so I don't care if they had called it Submarine Sea.:mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 pm

I have tried to get across to Chinese manufacturers that their infatuation with "sky" "dream" "fly" and other words, when creating brand names, is perhaps not the best way to name a product-line.

Now we have FrSky, FlySky, FlyDream, WiFly, and a raft of other names that kind of blend into a single blurry mess.

I had hoped that FrSky would have gone for a "classier" and less "happy dragon dream fly RC" type of brand-name but I guess they're sticking with FrSky -- which admittedly, is better than their original incarnation: "FriSky". I had to point out to them that "frisky" is a real word with possibly carnal overtones associated with it -- that's when they changed to FrSky :-)

Besides which, FriSky is almost a piss-take of the oriental pronounciation of FlySky anyway -- can you imagine the chaos and confusion that would have ensued if they'd not changed their name!

Only a very few (and remarkably successful) Chinese companies have managed to get the brand-name right. Haier is one good example. It's a European sounding name with no particular meaning (that I'm aware of) and carries a kind of "ring of quality" to it.

Still, as quarry44 says -- when it comes down to it, the name is irrelevant, it's the quality and performance that matter.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby AltechMYOB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks guys... check, = "mystical" :?

Dis clazy plick no-unnerstand... :ugeek:

FriSky might be a great name for an uber-uglystick powered by a pulsejet! Just think...

might fri-ght sky to tight(ten, the moon!) :mrgreen:

OR perhaps, imagine...

an after-burner on Bruce' largest pulsejet pointed up at the sky! AHhhhhhhh... :shock: "WHO'S LOOKING AFTER THE GREENHOUSE GASSES" :o
AHhhhhhhh
AltechMYOB

Return to Telemetry