What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

What brand of RC glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

OS
41%
Thunder Tiger
5%
ASP/Magnum
14%
Saito
8%
YS
No votes
Enya
5%
SuperTigre
6%
Webra
5%
Tower/GMS
3%
Other (specify)
13%

Total votes : 63

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon May 14, 2012 1:50 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I certainly am looking at reviewing the DLE20, it could be a bit of a "game changer" if it works as well as many hope.

I see by Bruce' comment on his 'box 'o bits' You Tube video :) (AKA "RC plane, destruction by mail? Part 2 (the unboxing)") that he has or is about to have his own DLE20. I can't find anything to indicate if this gasser has become a "game changer".

Can anybody point me to a good review/wise insight etc. on this engine?
eg. reliable?
economical?
good power for weight ratio?
has it taken a big bite out of the larger-sized glow engine market it's so good, etc.

OR is it still to early to tell?

many thanks...
AltechMYOB

Postby quarry44 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:41 pm

"t all depends.I used to have a Saito 45,which I loved because of it's precision engineering,and light weight.In a fit of rampant stupidity,I sold it.I have 6 OS four strokes,which I much prefer to screaming two strokes,hence That's where my vote went.
At the same time,I have a 15-year old ASP 32,which powers my Limbo 3D,and I don't think I've as much as put a new plug in it.It's like the Eveready bunny,just goes and goes,etc.
I also still have a Super Tigre S60K,and I always thought that very powerful.It will swing a 13x6 without any bother.
quarry44

Postby AltechMYOB » Tue May 15, 2012 4:09 pm

quarry44 wrote:"t all depends.I used to have a Saito 45,which I loved because of it's precision engineering,and light weight.In a fit of rampant stupidity,I sold it.I have 6 OS four strokes,which I much prefer to screaming two strokes,hence That's where my vote went.
At the same time,I have a 15-year old ASP 32,which powers my Limbo 3D,and I don't think I've as much as put a new plug in it.It's like the Eveready bunny,just goes and goes,etc.
I also still have a Super Tigre S60K,and I always thought that very powerful.It will swing a 13x6 without any bother.

mmm... part of why I'm asking questions like my post above is that I need to find a preference. But looking back at what this poll is asking I'm wandering off thread. I only put it here due to Bruce mentioning the DLE20. I want range, but I'm not interested in 3D, and that comes down to IC engines. Glows give good power in small places however I believe glow fuel is just going to get more and more expensive due to batteries taking over the small end and growing ever upwards. It's already hard to find quality synthetic oil in my area... the stuff Bruce uses isn't available (to my knowledge) in my country full stop. Nitro is totally absent locally leaving me to having to buy premix via mail, an even more expensive proposition. Then there's the 'goop' factor of nitro... if you can't get high quality synthetic oil this is an ever present problem to deal with.

Diesel - a dieing specialty.
Exotic mixes of glow fuels - see above.
I keep coming back to petrol (gas), hence my interest in the smallest, but very importantly, most reliable petrol IC engines.
AltechMYOB

Postby PLaurence » Mon May 28, 2012 1:26 am

Moki!
PLaurence

Previous

Return to IC Engines