HK 30A Blue ESC - AXN Floater

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

HK 30A Blue ESC - AXN Floater

Postby Denominator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 am

I got the blue ESC from hobby king, after seeing the AXN build vids on youtube. I have until now used the original ESC. Strange thing is, that after I changed it to the blue 30a ESC, the motor seems to have noticeable less power. I have gone trough the throttle range setup, but it don't perform as well as the original old ESC.

Anyone got a suggestion to why it has this problem? I do wan't to keep the blue ESC as it has a 3A built in BEC.
Denominator

Re: HK 30A Blue ESC - AXN Floater

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:48 am

Recheck all your solder joints, a faulty connection (eg dry solder joint) can lead to power loss. Had a similar issue on a 3650kv motor redid all the solderings, problem fixed.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 am

Check the ESC set-up it may be set to less than the 12 poles of the out-runner. this will make a big difference to the power output.
I think its high timing you require.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Denominator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks guys! I will try this out :)
Denominator

Postby Denominator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Just one quick question before I resolder, would it be better to put on 3.2mm bullet connectors? Or would this have the same result?
And I should set it to 16kHz?
Denominator

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:15 pm

And I should set it to 16kHz?

According to the manual yes you should.
Leave the connectors as they are until you test the results of the setting changes, then you can change the connectors if you want (it is probably not going to affect things much).
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Denominator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Did a little on the table test, and didn't really feel much change after programming it, but I did have some very bad solders. Now I have put on some bullet connector and all my solders are nice and shiny, also added som flux and it all turned out perfect. Can't wait to try it tomorrow :)

Today I ran my AXN floater with the HK SS 25-30A ESC, original motor and a 6x4E Sport prop. Wow that ESC got hot! But what is to hot? Would that be a to small ESC with that prop?

I love this forum! Not to many members, and people try to help each other without the bullying! Thank you so much!
Denominator

Postby Malcurin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 pm

If you don't have one already get a watt meter, they are awesome for testing the motor prop esc and battery combo so you don't exceed any of the specs of them, the 25 - 30 esc is really only a 25 amp esc with a burst rating of 30 amps for a few seconds, and the reason it got hot is it didn't have air running over it to help cool it down any, just make sure that the airflow inside the bay is good and clear for when its flying, they recommend a 30 amp esc with that propeller, though with mine I only pull 23 amps on a full battery, so you might be cutting it fine, just don't do WOT too much and you should be fine,
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby pldb64 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am

Have to agree with Mal ... Watt Meter is a must have in my tool box.

I run the stock ESC which is the Aoxan rated to 25A. It's the only piece of advice re Bruce's AXN setup i haven't followed as i believe in his original video, the stock ESC was rated to 20A.

Anyway - with the 5x5 i pull about 16 amps WOT. With the 6x4 i pull about 21 amps WOT (which would put me above my 80% of max comfort factor). I don't feel the need to run with the 6x4 as i get more than enough performance from the 5x5. With my 5x5, i can fly for 15 mins+ and the ESC will be warm to the touch but not scorching. Mind you, a large part of that will be < 60% throttle - YMMV!

Beware the stock servo's though, they appear to be prone to developing pretty bad jitter and that increases the amp draw of the BEC and could easily lead to the ESC shutting down during flight.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am

Cynr,
are you hopping about on the wire?
MadNormal.JPG
MadNormal.JPG (8.02 KiB) Viewed 29024 times

BillGriffiths100

Next

Return to Electric Power Systems