Fried your radio when using 3sLipo ??

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Fried your radio when using 3sLipo ??

Postby Norseman220 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Just out of curiosity, Have anybody had a radio go bad from using LiPo batteries in it?
I was under the impression that there is a voltage regulator in there taking the voltage down to acceptable levels. And some radios (Even my JR 9XII) comes with a battery holder that will accept dry cells, and that would give it even more voltage than 3 LiPo cells.
If anyone would care to explain a little around this I would be most happy.

Steinar
Norseman220

Re: Fried your radio when using 3sLipo ??

Postby cynr100 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 am

Steinar,
Spend an extra $2 for the LiFe type ,I just purchased a LiFe 9.9v 1800maH Tx battery that fits snuggly into any 9x style Tx and is only slightly smaller than the 8 x AA (12v) battery packs that are going around. Li-Po at 11.1v will deliver 12v+ at full charge and you are at risk of damaging the Tx. Most Tx's only require a min of 5v the rest is dissipated as heat.
I have been using Li-Io batteries, (INR18650 from a damaged drill pack, 2 cells wired to provide 7.2v 2600maH) for the last year with no issues. I changed because I wanted something that looked a bit more professional and would give me more than 4 hours without recharge (I set my low voltage alarm at 7v).
Just remember that LiFe and Li-Ion as less "volatile" than Li-Po, do you want to put your Tx at risk.

Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Fried your radio when using 3sLipo ??

Postby ergocentric » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:33 am

many have, I've helped where I could...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1251633
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Return to Radios and Servos