Rubber Powered Escapement Wanted

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Rubber Powered Escapement Wanted

Postby iflylilplanes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 am

Hi All,
I've given up looking for an old single channel radio, so, I built one. What I need now is just the rubber powered escapement, my single channel radio works fantastic using a servo that emulates the actions of an escapement. Mastering the button was a challenge, but I figured it out, I've even learnt to barrel roll on rudder only and done one almost loop.

Anyway, I there is anyone out there with a spare compound escapement like a Babcock MK11 or similar working or not, I would like to purchase one or more? If it's not working I will restore it or use it to make my own, I just need one.

This is my home made single channel transmitter.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Re: Rubber Powered Escapement Wanted

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Babcock MK11

Did that have a kick up elevator Dave?
I still have a Fred Rising clockwork escapement that I used for throttle control with my old McGregor two channel proportional that Bruce was on about in his video, full down (or was it up) triggered the throttle from full to idle via a micro switch.
That was before I discovered there were holes in the McGregor board for extra components that would make it a three channel, then I made an extra add on on veroboard and made it four channel!
Would that be of interest?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby iflylilplanes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 pm

The Babcock MK11 had an electrical contact near the rubber hook that when you pushed the button three times and held, the contacts touched as power is supplied and the elevator kicked up using the second escapement. That was as far as I got using the MK11, as to how to get it to work a throttle I don't know. I think a kick up elevator could also be incorporated into the MK11 with a second lever from the side that worked with the rudder not separately, I think.

My home made gear can operate three functions, rudder, elevator and throttle, I've only used rudder and throttle so far. Eight flights and I missed the field once (wind picked up half way through the flight) and every landing on the wheels. I'll post a few pics in a different thread later.

This is a Babcock MK11
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... OR:US:1123
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby quarry44 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 am

Dave,I have an OS S-2 escapement if you're stuck.I don't know if it works though.Is there an easy way to test it without destroying it?
Im in nz,so possibly closer than others.You could have it for the cost of postage,assuming it works.Hans.
quarry44

Postby iflylilplanes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 am

Quarry,
Thanks, I'll take it working or not, I'll make it run. If you can tell me the postage to Sydney OZ, I can paypal the money to you, if thats Ok with you?
It will be treasured and used, I have servos 30 years old still being used in competition gliders.

The OS S2 is a throttle escapment, but I don't mind, I have plenty of IC engines with carbs
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:55 am

It looks as though you could recreate your own, with a few bits of tinplate, some gears and springs, and a solenoid that might be an interesting little project.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby iflylilplanes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 am

That's what I want to do if I can't get a working one, I just need one working or not to use as a pattern. I wish I had kept the C &S single channel set I had back in the early 70s, it had a Babcock MK11 with it, didn't have anyone to learn from back then. Now, with the knowledge I have acquired since then, setting up SC aircraft and RC gear is a simple thing, getting the RC gear is hard. Lucky I have a good quality transmitter and receiver (2.4Gig) I can fit an escapement or two as well as servos and an ESC if I go electric.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Postby AshleyB32 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 pm

hey is that the module i sent ya a few weeks ago your using ?
AshleyB32

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 am

Ashley,
The same as, but not yours, yours is going into a pulse proportional transmitter. The aircrafts rudder pulses 7 times a second from full right to full left, and biasing to the left or right from centre when the single stick on the transmitter is moved. Have a look here under '"Pulse & GG" on this site, you will see what I mean...
http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/ . What I need for that is a pulse actuator.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 am

Have a look here under '"Pulse & GG

Back in the sixties I converted my old McGregor valve set to Galloping Ghost with the aid of a Handbook from RCM & E by Charles Rial, with a circuit for a valve pulser and experimented pretty unsuccessfully with Galloping Ghost
Then I made the RCM & E Galloping Ghost transmitter (which I threw away in a clear out a year or two ago),
and flew an RCM & E Timber with it for about 45 flights.
The mighty midget motor of which I had two (also thrown away long ago) powered the flapping bits.
Until one day I damaged the propeller and changed it for another, this had a serious effects on the trim that the weak power of the Galloping Ghost set-up couldn't overcome, flushed with my left over university grant (we were thrifty in those days) I purchased the McGregor two channel proportional (which required time lapse photography to see the servos move) and entered the world of more or less controlled flight......
Seems like you have a serious case of nostalgia, I can understand it but I can't share it!

BillGriffiths100

Next

Return to Radios and Servos