Glowplugs

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

Glowplugs

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:13 am

Here's a question that will probably raise as many points of views as their are people reading this...

Which is the best glowplug?

Okay, I know there's no "best" -- but which do you use?

I've just received some of the new OS#7 plugs that are supposed to be completely redesigned. From the sales-pitch:

Every aspect of the No.7 plug including the coil is newly designed and developed. It covers wide range of engines and with rich mixture, offers stable idling, broad peak needle and punchy acceleration. This next generation glow plug has been developed focusing on easier handling at low and medium speed range than No.8

So I'll be reviewing these by comparing them with the OS#8 which has been the benchmark plug for most 2-stroke glow engines for years now.

Any reader comments?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Glowplugs

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 am

There is a small company called Merlin Glow Plugs in Chicago Illinois owned by a friend of mine. I have seen his operation and all of his plugs are hand assembled and tested one at a time. He carries a wide variety of plugs and the prices are excellent.
He is also an original equipment manufacturer for some well known RC companies.
I used one of his 2003HD plugs in a lot of different test engines for almost 2 years before I managed to burn it out. And it was abused believe me. http://www.merlinglowplugs.com/Aircraft.html
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:36 am

I did try some Merlin plugs a while back but can't remember whether I liked them or not. I didn't buy any more, maybe I didn't like them. I guess I could try again.

The OS#7 plugs are pretty well-priced, a full card of 12 cost me about $69 including shipping which is quite reasonable for a genuine OS plug.

I fly lots of 3D so it will be interesting to see if the promises are kept about idle, transition and mid-range.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:16 am

Wow, $3.99 at Tower. That really is cheap, hope they work good.
In the states if you buy $25 worth of Merlins he gives free shipping. His least expensive plug is $4.95 and shipping to NZ is a flat $7 for a $25 order
The other day one of the club members was having trouble adjusting his 4 stroke , typical loading up at idle issue, so we installed a Merlin 2010 which is his hottest 4 stroke plug. The guy would not give me back my plug, however he happily paid for it. This is not the first time that has happened.
I keep selling my plugs like this I am going to have to put in another order. :lol:
I will give Aldon a call and let him know about this site and all your good works.
jeffie8696

Postby siang » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 am

I've 2 of those as spares. I went to get some spares after I blew mine out a few weeks ago. 2 of #8 and 2 of #7, yet to try them out. Bought mine at NZ$12 for the #7 at LHS. I hope it's better but got the #8 just in case, lol.
siang

Postby hakank » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm running OS F in all my engines which is mostly 2-strokes. Working as a charm even if the engine is mounted upside down.

/Håkan
hakank

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Yes, the OS-F is a great plug, especially for larger 2-strokes but the #7 seems to work just as well (for about 2/3 the price) in 2-stroke engines -- at least that's the impression I got when i tried them last weekend.

They're a bit hotter than a #8 and that really cleaned up the mid-range and transition on the ASP/Magnum 52 that I reviewed recently.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 am

That would be very good news. Maybe I should get some for a test.
jeffie8696

Postby xenothius » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:38 am

i use #8's on all my 2 stroke engines (never got any good time on the recommended A3) but they dont like running lean at all
but it will be good to try something new nothing to lose is there
xenothius

Postby raptor22 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

this is one of those RC dogma's that just seems to keep running, the OS#8 is the best plug..

I use Modeltechncs plugs and they allow reliable engine running and las t jst as long as OS plugs.

I prefer to use plugs according to ambient temperature. In winter I fly a hotter plug, in sumer a colder plug.

the choice has a ot to do with engine running temperature, air temperature, engine heat retention which relates to engine size. small engines don;t retain heat well, since theyhave little mass, so a hotter plug works well here. Larger engines retain heat better so a colder plug works

Horses for courses
raptor22

Next

Return to IC Engines