Pulsejets

Turbines, pulsejets and other forms of reaction propulsion.

Pulsejets

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 5:16 am

Most of you will probably have seen my pulsejet powered RC model aircraft on my XJet Youtube Channel already but if not, then here's some videos to take a look at:

Pulsejet powered TameCat ARF
Pulsejet powered Bobcat 52 ARF
Pulsejet powered Long-EZ ARF

Check out my other vids for a bunch of RC flying and full-sized models, plus some other cool pulsejet stuff.

If anyone has questions regarding pulsejet RC models I'll be glad to answer them here.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Pulsejets

Postby tommy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:48 am

I am just watcining scrapyard challange on TV and they are building jet powered cars. I thought to myself they should use pulse jet engines like the ones Bruce uses.
Then what do I see, its Bruce on scrapyard challange. That's cool. Hope you win.
Last edited by tommy on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommy

Postby siang » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Very interesting, took a peek at yr other site on developing one as well. I notice the plane took off with speed in a haste, lean out on turning, then you shut off the jet b4 land. I wonder if it will idle, take off, slow down while flying and land at a controlled speed rather than shutting it off.
siang

Postby tommy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Just to let you all know, Bruce's team won on srapyard challange. Go Bruce.............................
So how long ago did you do the show???
Have you done any more ?
tommy

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Yeah, it took 3 days to shoot the Scrapheap episode (which was voted "most popular episode of all time" by Scrapheap viewers -- woohoo!

For those who didn't see that episode, some kind soul has uploaded it to Youtube:

Scrapheap Jet racers part 1
Scrapheap Jet racers part 2
Scrapheap Jet racers part 3
Scrapheap Jet racers part 4

I also served as a "technical consultant" (behind the scenes) for an episode of the US version "Junkyard Megawars" but that wasn't nearly so much fun.

Behind the scenes on Junkyard Megawars part 1
Behind the scenes on Junkyard Megawars part 2

Here in NZ I appear occasionally on a program called Let's Get Inventin in which we take kids ideas and turn them into reality.

So far I've done:

a Pulsejet-powered armchair
a pulsejet powered hovercraft
a pulsejet powered kayak

and it looks as if I'm about to be involved in making a TV ad involving some *big* pulsejets like the ones on my dragster: a pulsejet dragster

So much to do... so little time :D
RCModelReviews

Postby anders.svenson » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi! Need help!
I bout a Silverjet pulsjet and I can’t get it working; I have tried different fuel´s (95 octane gasoline) and ignition systems. Originally there was no pressure feed to the fuel so I added one but it didn’t work anyway. It is working when I blow with air but then stops. It seems not feed itself with gasoline.
Anders Svenson
Sweden
anders.svenson

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:30 am

Pulsejets have very little "suction" to draw fuel so it's important that the fuel tank is as close to level with the fuel jets as possible. Even having the fuel tank a centimeter or two below the fuel jet can cause difficulty starting.

Regular gasoline should work. Other than that -- it's just a case of acquiring the "knack" of starting them. Note that they usually start a *lot* easier when the temperature is 20 degrees C or warmer. Sometimes in cold weather they can be hard to start because the gasoline won't vaporize very well.
RCModelReviews

Postby 7sp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Great job on the Scrapyard Challenge Bruce!

Brought back memory's of my early teens when a buddy inherited a small pulse jet from a lady whose husband had died. He was big into u-control with pulse jets. We did finally learn how to hook up and run the thing, but never put it into a plane. We ended up making a u-control car and mounted it on there... Silly kids, lucky we did not kill ourselves in the process. LOL

7SP
7sp

Postby brett657 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 am

Very interesting and nice. I notice that the it took off with speed and shut off the jet before landing. I wonder if it will idle take off and landing at a controlled speed rather than shutting it off.Whereas the problem concerns It's important that the fuel tank is as close to level with the fuel jets as possible. Even having the fuel tank below the level the fuel jet can cause difficulty starting because Pulsejets have very little suction to draw fuel.

Regards
brett
Nitrotek
Brett Wilson
Find more info at Nitrotek.nl
brett657

Return to Jet-power