A wave of fake Spektrum products about to appear?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: A wave of fake Spektrum products about to appear?

Postby sturdybird46 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I saw the latest listing on Hobby King for spektrum compatible products. A 4 channel receiver. Now this I like very much. Making compatible products but offer something that isn't offered by the original manufacturer. I wouldn't mind seeing Hitec compatible 2.4 gig rxs in the smaller park flier sizes. Maybe even Futaba park flier rxs at an affordable price. What happened to your dsm2 transmitter module from the prior testing Bruce? Did one of the scantily clad women run off with it?
sturdybird46

Postby Bruser » Fri May 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Bruce. I can loan you my DX9 for the testing if you like. Give me a PM. Regards Stu
Bruser

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 pm

sturdybird46 wrote:What happened to your dsm2 transmitter module from the prior testing Bruce? Did one of the scantily clad women run off with it?

No, I borrowed a DSX9 for testing the DSM2 technology.

I guess, give the market share that DSM2 has, I should get a Spektrum or JR system to keep here for testing ($$).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 28, 2010 9:27 pm

Bruser wrote:Hi Bruce. I can loan you my DX9 for the testing if you like. Give me a PM. Regards Stu

Thanks for the offer but I should be able to find one from somewhere. Maybe Horizon will send me one :lol:
RCModelReviews

Postby wldingrod » Fri May 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Did you use a jr radio for your test of spektrum radio gear,
I have up graded from dx6i to dx7,the dx7 works a lot better with range test and have not had any problems since changing radios,
I wonder how compatable these radios and receivers really are
wldingrod

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 28, 2010 11:22 pm

wldingrod wrote:Did you use a jr radio for your test of spektrum radio gear,

Yep, a DSX9
I have up graded from dx6i to dx7,the dx7 works a lot better with range test and have not had any problems since changing radios,
I wonder how compatable these radios and receivers really are

Spektrum have kind of backed themselves into a corner unfortunately.

Being first-to-market means you lock yourself into a technology (dual-frequency DSSS) that has now been well and truly superceded by other options such as FHSS (constantly agile DSSS) and lower-voltage components.

One only has to look at the still very-high brownout voltage of Spektrum receivers and the number of "issues" that DSM2 users have when the band is congested to see that there are many much better alternatives now on the market.

So where does Spektrum go?

Do they bring out a Spektrum NT (new technology) FHSS system?

I'm picking that they will do exactly this at sometime in the not-too-distant future.

The arrival of the cheap Chinese "compatible" receivers has been a godsend for Spektrum. Now they can claim to be "the cheapest" 2.4GHz system on the market, from the perspective of buying new receivers. That will breathe new life into an aging and outdated piece of technology and further cement Spektrum's position at the bottom of the ladder where bullet-proof radio isn't so important if you're flying a 100g foamie.

I'd say that Spektrum will create a separate (non-DSM2) product-line to focus on the mid/upper end of the market and this will be FHSS. They'll basically relinquish the sale of low-end DSM receivers to the Chinese "compatible" product and instead look at an area of the market where people are more willing to spend big money on "brand name" product.

How many times have I heard jet fliers say "I wouldn't risk my $5,000 plane to a $40 Chinese receiver -- and then watched a very *expensive* JR or Futaba-equipped turbine dig holes in the field beside the runway due to a lockout? (well twice actually).

Still, those folks who spend big-bucks on large gasers and jets usually refuse point-blank to entertain any suggestion that they use non-branded products. So, if Spektrum concentrates on this area, they can charge what they want and people will pay. What's more, even if the Chinese do bring out a compatible product at a lower price, they still won't buy because it isn't "a genuine JR/Futaba/Spektrum".

Or, I could be completely wrong. It has happened (back in 1962 I think) :lol:
RCModelReviews

Postby Bruser » Sat May 29, 2010 12:56 am

Hi Bruce, Dumb thumbs!! I should have typed DSX9 Cheers
Bruser

Postby fernandez » Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Spektrum has been hacked even before futaba fasst was on the market by Nomadio. However Nomadio never sold there tx with this firmware you had to load beta firmware.

Nomadio react car radio you can select the type of receiever.
1) Nomadio FHSS including telemetry 100Hz.
2) Spektrum DSM, but than 50Hz no telemetry.

According nomadio Spektrum system is easy to reverse engineer.

Stil a pity nomadio stopped rc business and never brought out there air radio
fernandez

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 29, 2010 9:25 pm

I seem to recall HK saying that they had grabbed the Nomandio system and were commissioning Corona to manufacture it for them some time in the near future.
RCModelReviews

Postby Xzuberance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:08 pm

First up... wonderful wonderful site and forum Mr. RCModelReviews. It's about time we get some honesty in the shadowy aspects of the RC world and I like the fact that your reviews are of the "in your face" sort. I'm one of those technologically impaired hobbyist who is just interested in having the stuff put into my plane working... and for a fair price. Been putting up with too much BS for far too long...

Coming to the issue at hand... YES! It would be fantastic to have "compatible" receivers which are a fraction of the price the "branded" guys charge for theirs. I'll have no qualms about using them so long as they work fine, or are least comparable to the originals. As your review and heaps of people have pointed out in various forums, the spektrum DSM2 system isn't exactly "bullet proof" as it says it their advertising... Sadly, I'm a DX7 owner and am now concerned if I bought the wrong product for my future needs... I'm sure I'm not the only one who is looking forward to your review of the orange DSM2 compatible receiver. Keep up the fantastic work!
Xzuberance

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos