Glider Vario system

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Glider Vario system

Postby minibell » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:15 am

Hello.
Any glider flying people know of a cheap Vario live downlink system that has audio for up and down.
Thanks, Regards.
minibell

Re: Glider Vario system

Postby pwy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm

I know of a good vario but good and cheap doesn't seem to exist ;-)
This one works great but certainly not cheap http://www.wstech.de/english/index_e.htm

P.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:51 am

The FrSky telemetry project includes a "lite" vario system which has an airborne weight of about 2g and should cost about $40-$50 in parts to build.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby lm317 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Is there already any release of the FrSky Telemetry project?
If yes, where?
lm317

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Not released yet.

I know that FrSky are working on a dashboard based on a cheap MP3 player and my own one has been held up by work commitments (and my own ill-health over the past few days).
RCModelReviews

Postby lm317 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 am

lol - cheap MP3 player.
I suggested to Eva to use standard equipment (Atmega, Microchip) with ISP-Interface and to do the whole thing open-source.
I think many ppl would buy it if they are able to adapt it to their needs (see TH9x).
Also many non-FrSky users would use it if they are able to sell it cheap.
Get well!
lm317

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:44 am

The concerns I voiced about using a cheap MP3 player is that the color LCDs on those devices do not perform at all well under direct sunlight. You'd never be able to read it if you were flying on a fine day.
RCModelReviews

Postby CustomPC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 am

Depending on where you are located, the Multiplex M-Link 2.4Ghz system has a working altimeter/vario module.

They work with the EVO and Cockpit series of radios which are available in Europe, UK, Aus and NZ(?)

Mutilplex are sold in the US by Hitec but i'm not sure if they are too bothered to sell the M-Link 2.4Ghz gear because it is a direct competitor to their own products.
CustomPC

Postby cweeks » Wed May 18, 2011 10:46 am

Maybe a little late but I would avoid the wstech vario at all costs, both myself and a friend had one, both of them were interference mongers. My friends never got of the ground it was that bad, mine reduced the range to about 200 meters.
cweeks

Postby minibell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for the info everybody.
I went for 'Eagletree seagull system' the cheaper version, 900mhz x 200mw, from HK.
The reason being it supposed to have TE[total enegy compensation], but the airspeed does not work on the one I got.
Its not worth the trouble to send back to HK, and Eagletree do not seem to be of much help, as I did not buy it directly from them[basically they are ignoring me after they found out I got it at HK]
The vario part works OK, but it needs the TE[airspeed] to dampen the false readings of the vario when the glider speeds up and slows down[loss and gain of height for a trade off in speed but not due to rising or sinking air]
minibell

Return to Telemetry