Help needed with Aeromax Yak 25 Profile

If you didn't have to build it then you can talk about it here.

Help needed with Aeromax Yak 25 Profile

Postby RCMikeofIndiana » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 am

I purchased an Aeromax Yak 25 Profile plane from a vendor on ebay (It looks like the picture below). The instructions were horrible but I was able to to build it. The only piece of info missing from the instructions is the rates for the Elevator, Rudder & Aileron control surface throw. There is no mention of these in the manual. Does anyone have a suggestion for high and low rates?

Thanks

RCMikeofIndiana

Re: Help needed with Aeromax Yak 25 Profile

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 am

There are several schools of thought when it comes to setting the throws for a profile like this.

How do you intend to fly and what is your skill-level?

If you're still learning and aren't into hardcore 3D yet then you could probably set the throws to about 25-30 degrees up and 30 degrees down with about 35% expo. This would make the model fun to fly but not too touchy.

If you're an accomplished flier but want to start learning 3D then you can set the model up with dual rates -- low rates being about 30 degrees and high-rates being as much as you can get -- at least +/- 45 degrees. use about 30% expo on the low rates and as much expo as you need on the high rates.

I've been flying profiles for many years and pretend that I'm a hard-core 3D flier so I set all my models with as much throw as I can get (usually about +/- 50 degrees) and run about 50% expo on elevator/ailerons with 30% on rudder.

If in doubt, start with relatively small throws and keep increasing them until you find the model gets a bit too touchy -- then start adding expo to calm it down a bit. You can then ad more throw -- lather, rinse repeat.

Remember that the CG position will have quite an effect on how effective your elevator control is. For beginners it won't hurt to start with the manufacturer's recommended CG position (usually on the main spar -- or about 25%-30% from the leading edge) then slowly move it backwards as you get better. Most of my profiles are trimmed very tail-heavy because it makes most 3D maneuvers easier to fly.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RCMikeofIndiana » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks Bruce. I plan on setting this up with dual rates since I have never flown a profile plane.
RCMikeofIndiana

Postby hazzbro » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

RCMike,

If you can make it we'll be having a ProBro (called LousiBro) in southern Indiana (near Louisville) on June 3-4th 2011. Bring this along and I'll let you fly a few of my birds as well. You'll be amazed what a properly setup and designed profile can do.

PM me if you want more info..

Hazz
hazzbro

Return to ARF and RTF Models