Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm

After years of claiming that straight DSSS was far better than hopping, Horizon have finally admitted that constant agility is an advantage when operating in a hostile 2.4GHz environment.

With the announcement of DSMX, Horizon has signaled that they're now able to deliver a system that (if my review of DSMJ is any indicator) really can compete head-on with the other hoppers from Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Hitec, FrSky and the rest.

This is indeed good news for DSM2 users -- I just wish that Horizon/Spektrum hadn't been hog-tied by their spin-doctors for so very long so they could have introduced this a long time ago.

Of course when I can get my hands on a system, I will test it -- but I'm expecting it to look very much like the JR DSMJ system that I reviewed (very favorably) just a couple of months ago.

Will Horizon finally start talking to RCModelReviews?

I hope so -- but only time will tell.

What do you think of this move on the part of Horizon? Does it vindicate the stance I've taken that constant agility is essential to provide a robust RF link in today's hostile 2.4GHz environment?

And... could it be that one other reason for introducing DSMX is to ankle-tap the sales of those cheap Chinese DSM2-compatible receivers?

Food for thought -- let's hear your comments...
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Postby Asad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Just saw this and came to the forums to post about it and lo and behold... you are already on to it! :D

Certainly an interesting development. I am eager to know how it will fare against Futaba FASST and Hitec AFHSS.
Asad

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

You would assume that, if they're as proud of DSMX as Hitec was of AFHSS, they'd just send one in for review -- don't you?

But seriously, I suspect I'll have to beg, steal or borrow a DSMX system to review. I'd better start looking.
RCModelReviews

Postby Asad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

^ They might be proud but not stupid! Probably afraid you will find something else wrong with it and then they will have to come out with DSMX2 within months. :D

Their issues with you are understandable. Whether they are justified or not is an entirely separate debate. ;)

Is there no one at your field using a DX8 or a JR 11/12 channel radio??
Asad

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 pm

There is one DX8 user but he's a very infrequent flier and not into "change' at all.

I have a JR11X Zero here but it's module-based and therefore I don't think it's a candidate for the upgrade -- besides which it's not mine so I'm not about to mess around with it.

I'll get my hands on one eventually.

Interestingly enough, I was a harsh critic of Hitec and the long string of problems associated with some of their products -- yet they still sent in an AFHSS system for review. They *were* clearly confident that I would not be able to find anything wrong with it -- even if I had (which I didn't) any bias in the matter.
RCModelReviews

Postby Asad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Can you post some links to criticism of Hitec products? Was this in the pre or post A9 era?

BTW, still awaiting your review of the A9 (transmitter itself, not the RF link) and how well AFHSS fares with FPV (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz Vtx).

IMO, one of the biggest A9 issues is the lack of selectable trainer channel passthrough for all 9 channels which creates problems with using various head trackers and other equipment relying on a modified PPM stream being sent to the transmitter (trainer mode).
Asad

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 pm

My criticisms of Hitec referred mainly to the Optic 6, which suffered an unfortunate run of "issues" -- some of which Hitec didn't acknowledge for some time and some of which they still don't acknowledge. (The AAAA bug, the bad/intermittent fit of the Spectra module in the case, the weak handle design etc). The O6 is now a good transmitter but had its problems.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 pm

I can only hope the new system is backwards compatible with DSM2 or they are going to piss off a lot of customers.
I have had a lot of dealings with Hitec lately and they are tops in my book. I just picked up 2 Hitec Lazer4 transmitters and they are becoming one of my favorite basic radios.
jeffie8696

Postby Asad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:09 pm

DSMX transmitters can communicate fine with DSM2 receivers (in DSM2 mode) per Andy Kunz on RCG.

PS: Bruce, do reread the issue of A9 with FPV which I wrote about above. I edited the post later on so you might have missed it.
Asad

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes, DSMX can work with DSM2 receivers -- which is why I'm pretty sure they've done something *very* similar to DSMJ.

When it comes to head-trackers, I'm thinking that in all but the smallest models, the easiest way is to simply use one of the cheap 2.4GHz transmitter models/DIY kits to send the head-tracker info -- and a separate receiver in the model. Simple, elegant and completely separate to your transmitter and existing RC receiver. That's the way I'll be doing mine.

With the FrSky DIY available for a song and their lightweight 7-channel receivers delivering good range, it allows you to create a system completely independent of your actual RC system.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to Radios and Servos