Review: FY21AP FPV control system

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Review: FY21AP FPV control system

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 am

You can read the review here

Any comments on the product or the review can be placed in this topic.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Review: FY21AP FPV control system

Postby crampy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am

Looks great Bruce.
I've got the FY-20A system for my planes and was thinking about maybe stepping up to one of these for if I go FPV.

The FY-20A is only $120Us, which makes that system pretty good price-wise.
crampy

Postby Dplender » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Bruce,

I have been following your FPV build with interest, I have the same plane set up almost identically, I am running 200mw on 5.8ghz and finding it somewhat limiting, next I will play with antennas.

The FY21AP looks great, both the stabilisation, and the RTL. A possible work around for the lack of throttle control could be to mix Elevator to Throttle with a small Vtail mixer. I have not been able to test it yet, as I do not yet have the FY21AP, but plan to order it soon, and when time permits I will give it a try.

I am also looking at a different set of Goggles from Foxtech, that look really good, if a bit expensive.

Keep up the good work, we appreciate it.
Dplender

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:20 pm

I flew the 5.8GHz system out to just over a mile yesterday and the signal was still good. I expect that I'll be able to get at least 2-2.5Kms out of the setup I'm currently using.

One of the keys to getting good range with 5.8GHz is the installation and having your receiver antenna at least 3m above the ground.
RCModelReviews

Postby Oops » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Yes, thanks Bruce for that review. I was about to order from HK when the product was pulled. They have taken my discounted order of my list :x

I am still intended to purchase this or something similar after loosing a plane off the coast of the South Island due to sun strike. Just lost total sight of it when the sun came out. With the offshore breeze it should have washed onto Durville Island or the North Island by now :cry:

But, as always with these new developments, should I wait for the newer, better and even possibly cheaper? What are the rumours and what are the facts?

Thanks,

Rudy
Oops

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 am

I'm not sure what's happening at FyTech right now, I don't seem to get any response to emails but I notice that there's now an Fy21AP "version II" on their website. The price is $238 for the autopilot/stability system, the OSD is extra, if you want that as well.
RCModelReviews

Postby Oops » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for that Bruce. The points re altitude control by just elevator as you noticed are very valid and should be addressed. Basic facts like stall speed, best climb, best glide, best cruise, Vne etc will become standard spec info when true airspeed indicators become the norm. This followed by computer programs which lets you calculate this type of info for your particular aircraft during flight complete with endurance. The only speed given at present is building time which nowadays is minutes rather then days ;-)

Still amazing how electronics has changed this hobby from 25 years ago. Bruce, please keep us informed if there are any developments.
Oops

Postby finecutpost » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am

hello, I've had an FY21AP with a Hornet OSD for ages and decided to try to get it going again but the wiring to the GPS unit has me foxed. I also have a RVOSD unit and the GPS units have the same 6 pin connector but the colours are totally different so I'm not sure if I'm setting things correctly does anyone have a close up pix of the GPS unit with wire loom connected? I seem to have misplaced the original lead. Thanks buckets Guys

David
finecutpost

Return to FPV