Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:57 am

francoishaha wrote:i want to remove the module from my turnigy 9x v2, to replace it by rmilec module! but i want to keep the turnigy module plug and play. i found a video on you tube that show how to remove the 2.4Ghz module and i want to know if this guy is doing the job right. Is it safe to do that way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74Acmam_0c

Yes what he's doing is OK, but if you remove the hot glue that holds the board you'll have much better access to the tricky soldering bit (a) is the ground connection and (b) is the signal connection, the other side is also the ground connection as you can see from the picture.
Personally hot gluing the aerial to the module seems a bit too fragile, I would go for some more robust attachment, but basically the conversion is sound.
A range test would be very advisable before and after to see the connection was OK.
Attachments
Flysky TX mod.JPG
Flysky TX mod.JPG (77.5 KiB) Viewed 29866 times
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby francoishaha » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks BillGriffiths100

i already range test the module (original), i got to say it's pretty decent: 1.1 km at ground level and the Tx was inside a car !
i will make the same range test after the modification! hope it will be the same :)

*5 hours later*
Ok now the coax is solder to the module, not so easy to solder, but as you said (BillGraffiths100) it's easier with the board outside the plastic box :) the hardest part was to skin proprely the coax without the correct tool, it's realy small, i use a 10x microscope to see wire was well skinned

ive made a range test and i still got 1.1 km range with the TX inside the car!!!
so i am pretty happy with the result :D
here how it looks after the modification:
francoishaha

DIY Module and Telemetry

Postby Adventurer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:06 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:The best way to convert the 9X to the FrSky system is to use a DIY kit like I showed in this video.

Is this DIY module capable of Telemetry?

Craig
Adventurer

Re: DIY Module and Telemetry

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:28 am

Adventurer wrote:
RCModelReviews wrote:The best way to convert the 9X to the FrSky system is to use a DIY kit like I showed in this video.

Is this DIY module capable of Telemetry?

Craig

No
You need a DHT module for telemetry http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=85
The telemetry RX's http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=26
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Bill, I think you will find the DIY unit comes with the 3 way toggle switch as stardard now... Mine did from Hobby King...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Keith wrote:Hi Bill, I think you will find the DIY unit comes with the 3 way toggle switch as standard now... Mine did from Hobby King...

Hi Keith,
Yes one I got is quoted on the frsky web-page as discontinued, and the toggle switch is the latest, although they're the same otherwise.

BillGriffiths100

Postby Soldier53 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:17 am

Hi, I'm new to all this but I have the new Turnigy 9X and I just picked up a new FlySky 9X it was from www.leaderhobby.com I would like to know if is the new version? I can take out the module in the back, and would like to know if there are better ones out the with longer range, and better? there's no need to cut the antenna wire! looks just like the new Turnigy 9X and so does the receiver's. So if some one can help I would appreciate the help. or did I get ripped off!?
Soldier53

Postby Jay » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:43 am

I am not an expert but I to have a turnigy 9x and from what I understand flysky is basically the same thing as I'm sure you see also. I don't know if the frequency or the range is different but I wouldnt doubt it if they are the same and flysky just put a adapter plug for the transmitter in back. I have read where people put swapped the frysky TX with the built in antenna into a turnigy 9x, making it a better unit. And I see this one you got appears to look like the frisky unit on a flysky TX. I guess I would just say compare specs.
Jay

Postby Amazon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi there, folks.

First post on the forum and I'd like to bring this topic back.

I have a TGY 9X which would in theory be V1. However, I noticed that the DR/Expo are working simultaneously, which is unlikely on V1. I'm currently using an Assan V2(or at least, they have V2 written on the case) TX with 2 receivers, that I bought among the radio back in 2010. Used it for 2 years in a foamie and then my Futaba rx died, so I swapped the RX on my glow plane to the Assan. Flown it with no problems the other sunday, 6 flights, no problem at all. Yesterday at the field I was on my fourth flight, coming in to land. I was downwind, and suddenly the plane had a glitch that scared the hell out of me. It was the first time ever I experienced interference, so I kind of freaked out. It cut down the throttle and went into a dive, did not respond to any commands. I pulled the elevator all way up by instinct and then just before the plane hit the ground it flaired, so there was no major damage. I still don't know if it flaired because it found the radio signal or it was just some huge coincidence.

There is a mobile antenna some 300m from the field which is known to have half a dozen 2.4GHz cannons for long distance networks, and some people at the field have reported having interference using 2.4Ghz radios.

My questions:
1 - Should I stop using Assan? I have seen reports of people complaining about interference on other brands, are we all subject to it or is Assan really more subject to it?
2 - In case I should swap, which 2.4 systems are compatible with TGY 9x? I've read that JRs are not really compatible. Does anyone use the 9x with top notch 2.4 systems? Which one is currently the best option?

Cheers!
Amazon

Postby westy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 am

According to Bruces Reviews,

the V1 Tx module is only capable of 1 small channel range and does actually hop. SO this would be especially susceptible to brown out and lock up.

the V2 Tx and Rx are capable of doing a pretty good job for the price on hopping up to 14 different frequency ranges.

Here is Bruces review.... I am unable to find his actual Video review:

http://rcmodelreviews.com/turnigy9xv2review.shtml
westy

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers