Maximum advisable wind for AXN

Did you dumb-thumb it or was luck just not on your side. Whatever the reason, tell us all about your (or other's) crashes here.

Maximum advisable wind for AXN

Postby UAVman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Hello all,

Made the mistake of flying my AXN floater for the first time in the wind. This was the first flight and I am a RC beginner. Wind was blowing at about 15 MPH but I was eager to get into the air. The AXN climbed quickly to about 200 feet, and I was able to make some gentle turns before the plane started to drift out of my 50 acre flying area. I wasn't able to get it home, and although I cut throttle, just watched it circle out of sight. Must be stuck in a tree somewhere, but I could not find.

Is it OK to fly this plane in a 15 MPH wind? Maybe I need a larger field to learn in. Any comments would be appreciated!

UAVman
UAVman

Re: Maximum advisable wind for AXN

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 pm

As you discovered, experience is required to fly in a 15 mph wind but it is perfectly possible.
As a beginner anything over 5 mph is probably not suitable, you must master basic orientation and strong wind will prevent this learning process.
Cutting the power and not keeping the plane heading into the wind was a basic mistake (as you now realise).
Search the internet for a radio control how to fly articles, or better find a local club to join.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby UAVman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Many thanks for your reply Bill. Next flight will be in gentle breeze, or no breeze. Will take your advice on watching how-to-fly articles and joining a local club. The closest one is The Alliance Balsa Bees, and I'm planning to attend their next meeting. Had so much fun building the AXN I'll likely do another. Meanwhile I'll work with the FPV quad copter; its much easier to control.
UAVman

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Good luck, glad you haven't been discouraged by your loss.
It's a good idea to stick a mobile telephone number on the model and the offer of a reward for its safe return.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby UAVman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Bill,

Another good tip. The receiver alone was worth $60.

We have a lot of windy days in the winter in NE Ohio, so there is no rush to replace the AXN. I'll take my time building a new, and better one; I enjoy doing it in careful steps anyway. Shipping time will not be a concern. And will use some of The Bearded One's upgrade suggestions.

Looking forward to those balmy summer days with no wind at all!
UAVman

Return to Crashes