Frsky problem.

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Frsky problem.

Postby tommy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 am

What about the non two way tx. Can you upgrade that as well. I have the DIY V8HT. Can the jerky problem be solved on this with a flash upgrade ?
tommy

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:30 pm

You may find that FrSky will be able to accommodate you if you contact them directly.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Frsky problem - servos buzzing.

Postby pkt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:44 am

I have just received FrSky telemetry gear from ExtremeRC, namely the JR DJT module and D8R Rx, plus a V8R7HV 7-ch Rx. The issue I have has been touched on in this thread, so it looks like this is the right place to post.

My issue is that the servos buzz continuously on all channels when they should be stationary (I would have said 'jitter', but this seems to be used here to mean instability during travel - so perhaps the correct term is 'chatter')

I have 2 JR x-3810's and am using JR DS811 servos to test. I've tried the Tx module in both transmitters, with both D8R (telemetry) and V8R7 (normal V8) Rx's. Testing at normal power and at range check power the result is the same for all combinations of Tx, RX and power - continuous servo chatter when stationary. That seems to me to localise the issue to the Tx module.

Is this likely to be due to the power supply issue I saw discussed further up this thread? I would presume the PPM stream polarity would be set correctly for JR in a DJT module, so this is not the problem. The chatter actually concerns me more than jerkiness duirng travel, becasue it's going to drain the flight battery much faster than necessary. I'm reluctant to put gear acting like this in a model; I want to cure it first. So what are the odds the Tx module is actually just faulty? I guess I'm wondering whether or not to send it back to Extreme for exchange.

BTW Thanks Bruce et al for posting this thread - the combo box came with an FrSky-branded CDROM in it with Tx & Rx ROM images on it, along with some documentation. Confusing - am I supposed to flash up the gear immediately or what? The included documentation gives no clue. Reading this site suggests that yes, I probably do need to flash it. It depends when Extreme got their stock I guess. I haven't loaded the upgrade yet; I will try it soon to see if it solves the chatter problem (I'll use the web site version too, in case it's newer).
pkt

Postby takilara » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Mine still make a lot of buzzing when they should be stationary. That was not much affected by reversing the shift direction. However my servos moved more smoothly after i reversed the direction.

I have not noticed any more drain on the battery, I suspect that servos under load will use more current than the "cattering" servos unloaded.
The price of getting what you want;
is getting what you once wanted...
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby jet760 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:17 am

Hi Guys
I have the telemetry system as well and was one of the first to get it direct from frsky, I have the same problem with the jerky servo movements but not chatter when not being used. But not all servos, the hxt 900 seem to be the worst but you don't notice it on the planes when flying. I have got the v8r7 on a ultra skick 25e with using 2 normal size jr servos and 2 jr mini servos ( not micro) with no issues what so ever. Eva from frsky told me that the upgrade from there site is only for the telemetry Module and the telemetry Rx and both need to be done at the same time. I have not done it yet but will soon.
jet760

Postby mr.sneezy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:47 am

The RX side of it might require to make some programming hardware... Looking into it later today.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Fly's airplanes & helis, glow & electric.
mr.sneezy

Re: Frsky problem - servos buzzing - update

Postby pkt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:50 am

Actually with more checking, it's really the telemetry mode that's got the chatter problem - the V8R7 is not chattering anywhere near as bad. I'll try to get the upgrade done today and check it again.

Happy Aussie Father's day everyone :-)
pkt

Postby takilara » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:28 am

I cannot find the update files on the frsky webpage, have you gotten it sent by mail?
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby pkt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 am

takilara wrote:I cannot find the update files on the frsky webpage, have you gotten it sent by mail?

Hi Takilara,

You'll find them at: http://www.frsky-rc.com/download.asp

Going down the table, the files you need for update are:
- FrSky Firmware Update How-to for Two W - (doc) the instructions on how to update the Tx
- FrSky firmware ROM update files (100825 - (doc) document describing what the ROM files are
- frsky-upgrade-lite.rar - (rar) the upgrading program itself (the name is slightly different to what the instructions say)
- FrSky firmware ROM update files - (rar) the ROM images themselves (this is the last entry in the table)

On page 2 (click 'last page' under the table, or type '2' in teh box and 'GO'):
- cp210x_std_driver.rar - (rar) teh USB driver, if you are using the USB cable

*The 'Updated on' date in the table seems to be wrong, most files seem to have been updated on 25th Aug 2010.

Actually frsky-upgrade-lite.rar archive seems to include the same ROM images as the separate file entry, but I downloaded and used the second one just in case. After extracting the .rar files I copied the ROM images into the frsky-upgrade-lite directory, but this seems to be unnecessary as you can browse for the ROM image file from the app.

So after unpacking everything, I ran the cp210x program to make the drivers available to Windows, then followed the instructions in the 'How-to' document to do the upgrade. This all seemed to work ok, and the upgrade itself took less than 10 secs to load across. My PC chose COM7 for the USB serial port. Check in Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Ports (COM and LPT) to see which COM port is assigned to 'CP210x USB to UART Bridge Controller'.

Didn't solve my servo chatter problem though *sigh*. I suspect its a power rail problem, as discussed here and in some other threads. I'll be looking at that next, and trying to work out how to upgrade the Rx - the instructions don't say!
pkt

Postby takilara » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:17 am

I think these are old rom files for two different methods for setting failsafes as fas as i know. I was wondering about the specific "chatter"/jitter issue rom..
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos