How much power can each channel on a receiver take

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

How much power can each channel on a receiver take

Postby pejay » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 am

I have tried to find out from manufacturers manuals and other specifications regarding the max allowed Ampere for each channel on various receivers and strangely I cannot locate any info on this. All I have read so far is that the receiver is suitable for parkflyer which I think is very vague - what is the definition of a parkflyer. I take it it means only small servos like 9g etc but what about helis and what is to say that some parkflyer have larger servos? When I look at the very tiny lines on the PC board I take it there must be a limit. But perhaps it is only the signal connection that is active and the other + and - connections to the servo all get the power from the battery connection on the receiver?
Anyhow I would appreciate if somebody could tell me how much ampere can be allowed on each channel for the following receivers:

1) Turnigy 9X8C v2
2) Spectrum 6 channel clone from HK (DSM2 Compatible park flyer 2.4GHz receiver
3) Spectrum AR6200
4) Spectrum AR6110
5) Corona CR8D 2.4 GHz

I am very thankful for any kind of enlightment on any of these receivers. :?
pejay

Re: How much power can each channel on a receiver take

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:49 am

Most receivers can deliver a surprising amount of current through their servo connectors and you can get a pretty good indication by looking at the thickness of the copper traces that link all the servo pins together on the + and - pins.

Even a parkflier receiver can often handle 2-5A per servo but you have to be careful because the total current capacity will probably not be 2-5A multiplied by the number of channels.

Unless you have some special application for your receivers then I think it's safe to say that most receivers will deliver all the current necessary to support the operation of the type of servos they're designed to work with.

So, a parkflier receiver will deliver more than enough current to drive 4 mini-servos and a regular-sized 8-channel receiver can usually be relied on to deliver more than enough current to drive 8 medium to hi-torque servos without stress.

It's worth noting that the servo connectors we use are only rated for about 3A continuous and 5-6A maximum. Try to pass more current than that through them and they will get warm -- very warm -- to the point where the plastic melts and you risk a dead-short.

None of the receivers you list are suited for giant-scale aircraft so they should be able to handle just about anything short of a giant-scale hi-torque digital without worry.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: How much power can each channel on a receiver take

Postby pejay » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks a lot. Now I am quite a bit wiser (hopefully).
Best regards,
Peter
pejay

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries