THE OUTPUT OF TRANSMITTERS - DIFFERENT FOR USA ?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

THE OUTPUT OF TRANSMITTERS - DIFFERENT FOR USA ?

Postby Dosu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:15 am

Is there any truth to the rumor that all radio manufacturers have an output rating of 200 mW for their transmitters destined to be sold in the United States of America and 100 mW for the rest of the world? Based on the assumption that this is a true and factual situation, if I, a resident of India, were to purchase my transmitter from the United States of America I would get twice the power output than if I purchased the same transmitter anywhere else.

My next question is based on the fact that a company like Futaba makes all their transmitters with a power output of 200 mW and then places a suppressor or a filter in the RF output section to restrict the output to 100 mW. My question is that if I were to open my transmitter would it be relatively straightforward for me to locate the suppressor of filter and remove it?

If I were to replace the antenna on say my 18 MZ with an antenna that had an output or gain that is greater than the 2Dbi antenna that is provided originally, would I effectively the increasing the output of the transmitter?

I am particularly challenged electronically and therefore this very basic post. Thank you for your indulgence.
Dosu

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks