My Other Hobby, Your Other Hobby.

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

My Other Hobby, Your Other Hobby.

Postby iflylilplanes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 am

I thought it would be interesting to see what other hobbies RC'ers have other than RC model aircraft, boats and cars, so, I'll start. One Sunday a month I volunteer at a museum west of Sydney, here are a few photos of the toys we are restoring.
Show us what your other hobbies are?
Last edited by iflylilplanes on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Re: My Other Hobby, Your Other Hobby.

Postby cynr100 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Ooooh..........drool...........slobber....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You're a big tease Dave.............can we see more if you have time. Especially the Fairy Gannet, could never understand how that thing could fly, let alone off a deck.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby iflylilplanes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:14 pm

The Gannet was berried in the corner behind other aircraft and free standing engines for the last 5 years, and it was only Sunday we moved everything to clear enough room to get unencumbered photos and move the aircraft into their final showing place in the museum. When I get home tonight I'll post a few more photos.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 pm

What a fantastic side hobby.... Yes please more pics... Love the Sea Fury... I'm currently building the Hawker Fury series one bipe from an old set of plans I found....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby iflylilplanes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 am

"Camden Museum of Aviation" is the name of the collection, and is located in the suburb of HARRINGTON PARK (Formerly Narellan) west of Sydney. The museum is not open to the public at this time due to advancements in council regulations, they insist the museum has both male and female toilets they have to be built as well as the existing buildings (Heritage listed) have to be maintained. There is a fantastic library, spare parts supply, tools for aircraft maintenance with a workshop and a few ground vehicle's, a Matilda tank (running)and a couple of Buffalo amphibious APC's (not running). We, the volunteers are helping to rearrange the aircraft inside the hanger to make room for visitors to get around the aircraft without nutting themselves ans spread the large number of motors around, we even have the engine out of a HE162 and a W12 I will post a photo of later.
Last edited by iflylilplanes on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Postby cynr100 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks for the extra Gannet pics Dave, she must have been a fearfull sight on the flight deck.
Behind the twin Mamba, is that a Lincoln Bomber??..wow you guys have a very special collection.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:31 pm

I was an APC driver... Don't know if you would call them amphibious... They were over 15 tons and were buoyant just about level with the water... We had to raise a rubber curtain when water crossing... The water would always come over the top with the angle of entry, the steeper it was the wetter you got... The tracks was the only propulsion you had in water and depending on the currant you would exit quite a way down stream from where you entered...Not sure of the make or model but they had Rolls Royce motors in them that could be removed in one go by taking out four bolts...
Keith

Postby iflylilplanes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:10 am

The Buffalo's tracks have paddles on every link, you can see how it would propel it in the water as well as fantastic grip on land. I have not had a chance to have a good look at them or the Matilda, so next month i will get some close up photos. One other machine we have is a small tracked tug that runs, I'll get some shots of it as well.

Now, how about your other hobbies this thread it to find out what other interests we all have, not just me.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:39 am

OK Dave, My other interests are solar power and wind turbines... I've made a few solar panels that work well but you need a lot of them to make a difference... I got a battery bank set up in the garage and need about 20 panels to keep it fully charged. I started making a wind turbine out of a ceiling fan by putting magnets in the case. I'm getting volts out so it should work. I had to put things on hold for a couple of years due to illness and a time in hospital (transplant) but am slowly getting back into it...
I also made a solar oven with its own sun tracking. You can see it here...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Oven-With-Tracking/
Keith

Postby iflylilplanes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 am

Great oven, I've seen a solar hot water heater with a parabolic curved mirror focused on a single pipe that tracked the sun, it boiled the water in a pipe 4 feet long. I've always wanted to find a property with a running stream and a north facing hill and build a full solar house, water wheel generator that also powers an Archimedean screw to supply water to an evaporative aircon, solar hot water and wind and solar electricity with storage. I want to stop paying.
Last edited by iflylilplanes on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Next

Return to Non-RC