HobbyKing/HobbyCity

Have you had really good or really bad service from a supplier? Tell everyone here.

Re: HobbyKing/HobbyCity

Postby disco stu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 pm

While I am normally one to mention if someone sends me too much or gives too much change etc, in this case I reakon by the time it got sorted you and they would have payed through the nose for that one Y lead!!! Thats after waiting 3 weeks for them to get back to you
disco stu

Postby mtesa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 pm

I got an wishlist alert, got on site as soon as I could, just to see damn thing on backorder :)
I placed an order despite that, and waited, and waited, and .... yesterday got it :)
mtesa

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:18 pm

For what it's worth... you won't see me on the HK support forums again.

HK sent me an email berating me for daring to criticize their tech support after they told a customer it was okay to fly the Orange/FrSky FASST receivers with antennas that had clearly been cut and had no exposed inner wire at the tip.

Perhaps as "punishment" for daring to make a valid critique of this advice, they have said I may not link to this site from my .sig as it constitutes a "marketing link" -- even though there's nothing for sale here and no charge is made for accessing the website.

I was always happy to provide HK with what amounted to a "free" tech support resource by answering customers questions on their forums because it was (to my mind) a fair exchange for being able to link to this site.

Now that they've decided (as they're entitled to) that they won't allow such a link, I've decided that it's not worth (my increasingly scarce time) to provide that service.

As a result, anyone wanting "free" tech support can post there questions here if they want.

Maybe HK are trying to steer people *away* from truly objective reviews in favor of their own "sponsored" reviewers Josh & Josh -- I don't know.

Anyway, rest assured that all reviews (yes, even reviews of HK products) will remain unsponsored, unbiased and totally objective here at RCModelReviews.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby suchislife » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:27 am

I will be adding a link to rcmodelreviews in my HK forum signature, as a protest. I encourage others to do the same.
Well done Bruce for remaining objective as always.
Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby suchislife » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am

Within an hour, jason removed my 'give bruce back his signature' signature, and closed more threads. :?

edit: he has, however, left this one open.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/foru ... 068#100068
He admits:
Possibly the customer cut the ends when removing the bubble wrap.
Possibly warehouse staff cut the ends when packing the parcel.
FrSky's sales assistant gave hexTronik's CSR manager false information, (pretty much a fobbing off) thus the reason for Bruces rant and scare mongering.

Bruce, stop scaring Jason :lol:
Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby wolw » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 am

suchislife wrote:Within an hour, jason removed my 'give bruce back his signature' signature, and closed more threads. :?

I don't know which threads you are referring to :? I've been monitoring the forum this morning and only know of one, if there are more, please specify them so I can check if they were wrongly closed.

Peter / Forum Admin HobbyKing
wolw

Postby suchislife » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby wolw » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:07 pm

The first one was closed on the 19:th, which was a debate on who said what. The second link doesn't work for me (but I guess you mean the one that was closed this morning which started with a statement and went where the other were when it was closed).
You got me thinking there was more than one closed thread as you wrote: "Within an hour, jason removed my 'give bruce back his signature' signature, and closed more threads" My bad :oops:
wolw

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Perhaps the difference between the way I approach stuff-ups and the way HK does is that I admit mine, HK seems to simply quash mention of theirs by locking threads in their forums.

Fair enough -- contrary to the implications they've made, I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone, they are. Perhaps I can afford to fess-up to mistakes and indeed I need to because my integrity is on the line. Perhaps they feel they can't afford to admit any fault, nor allow others to point out such deficiencies because that may have a negative impact on revenues.

I guess my only real beef is that I've had a link to RCMR in my .sig on the HK forums for over a year and nobody's said a thing. However, if I highlight (on their forums) an error made by their CS that could have cost a customer a great deal of money, suddenly the link is verboten.

All I do here is provide honest, objective, *informed*, reviews of products. If HK are afraid of their customers reading such information I have to wonder why.

The reviews I've published of products sold by HK are accurate. Some products have been exposed as very poor (HXT/MG995s), some as dubious quality but great value (the 9X radio) and some as brilliant (the SkyAngel F16). I give no favors and I hold no grudges when it comes to any product or supplier.

I feel that HK's response to my (deservedly harsh criticism) was petty and unbecoming any company which seeks to create or maintain an positive image in the marketplace.

But that's just my *opinion* and I am prepared to admit that sometimes *I* get things wrong :lol:
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sidewinder » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 am

^^^^ Bruce, I couldn't agree more, not only was removing the link to your excellent, objective review site in your sig. wrong, so was the decision to do so.
IMHO that's two mistakes.
I'd be willing to bet, however, that if anyone of us could speak to Jason privately he would probably admit his mistake and wish he had never done it. I'm not justifying his actions, only speculating that sometimes we all let our emotions influence decisions; then 20/20 hind-site kicks in as we proceed to kick ourselves in the but. Keep up the good work.
BTW, a while back you mentioned putting together a "How-To" on programming and configuring the Turnigy 9X, V2 transmitter, is that still in the works?

Bon chance,
Side
Sidewinder

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)