New FPV plane from HobbyKing

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

New FPV plane from HobbyKing

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Looks interesting. Same fuse material as the Phoenix, by the look of things. Having thin walls, it naturally has a lot more room inside. Would hurt more if it bounced of someone's head though. :o

From the HobbyKing blurb:

"The FPVRaptor is an attractive and superbly designed FPV platform with a a host of neat features that make this model one of the best in its class.

For toughness and reliability, the model features a blow moulded fuselage which utilizes Nylon and is virtually indestructable, the flying surfaces are all made from tough EPO foam. From point of view of practicality, the wings are plug in and the model requires no glue for assembly, everything simply screws together. The outer canopy is purely for looks and is used when the FPVRaptor is flown as a glider, it unclips in seconds to reveal a camera ready platform, complete with a pan/tilt servo mounting hole that has been pre-moulded. This large camera platform/wing cover is secured by a quick release latch and once removed, reveals huge canopy area for mounting batteries and FPV equipment onto a pre-fitted ply plate. All servos, motor & ESC are of course pre-installed.

The plug in wings have mouldings for adding flaps if desired and there is also a moulded C of G indicator on the underside of the wing for quick pre-flight checks. There is no doubt that this is a superbly designed, high quality FPV model at an excellent price. It would be fair to say that it is more attractive to look at than most FPV platforms, not to mention much tougher, the FPVRaptor will give the RC Pilot hours of enjoyment for many years to come!

Spec:
Wingspan: 1600mm
Length: 1044mm
Flying Weight: 950g
Motor: 2812 1400kv brushless Outrunner
ESC: 30A w/BEC
Servo: 9g x 4

Includes:
All Hardware
Instructions
Prop & Spinner
Screwdriver

Requires:
Your Own 4 Channel TX/RX
1800mAh 3S Lipoly Battery
FPV System"

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18764__FPVRaptor_Composite_1600mm_PNF.html

What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: New FPV plane from HobbyKing

Postby Oops » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:39 am

One day I may again say the dreaded but often used word "Oops" and will be in need of a new platform. The removable wings and the separate top covers are another good thing plus no fear of a battery or cables rubbing against the motor.

Still, I wished it had a bit more wing span for the long and quiet glide back.
Oops

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 am

I saw that model today -- but I'm still a little concerned about using a "hard" material for an FPV model.

The chances of an FPV model hitting someone or something are probably higher than those of a normal model doing the same and I really like the idea that a foam model will be far less likely to injury anyone or cause expensive property damage.

However, it does look like an interesting model.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:56 am

RCModelReviews wrote: I'm still a little concerned about using a "hard" material for an FPV model.

The chances of an FPV model hitting someone or something are probably higher than those of a normal model doing the same and I really like the idea that a foam model will be far less likely to injury anyone or cause expensive property damage.

I agree with the damage potential, which is why I mentioned it at the start of my post. I suppose one could always glue on a foam bumper-bar to the nose. :lol:
Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:15 am

One day I may again say the dreaded but often used word "Oops"

You can't beat laying in a hospital bed after major surgery while a nurse is doing something to you and says.... "OOOPS".... Makes you want to sit up quick when you can't...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Oops » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I better not visualise what you are referring to, Keith :lol:

Regarding hitting anyone, usually when I fly there is my wife and dog but that's it for about 2km around us. And they are both pretty robust anyway. I have never considered the materials of a model aircraft to be of any safety concern but more the operation of your flight (as can be seen in some very dodgy Youtube movies).

But I suppose when you are flying in a club environment that it is a point worth thinking about but more so in your flying conduct. Although I must say that I have been catching my plane but am not game enough to do that FPV. Which would make interesting film footage in case the nose ends up in the wrong place. But then we are back with your vision, Keith.
Oops

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 am

I was referring to a kidney transplant Oops... sorry to spoil you illusion... I'll try harder next time...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby bazz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:12 am

As for a greater wingspan it would interesting to see if the Phoenix 2000 wing would fit
bazz

Postby Walker Effertz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:45 am

The latest in what is becoming a long line of popular foam models from HobbyKing is the EFXtra trainer plane. As with all other Durafly models, the EFXtra comes complete with wheels, all hardware and detailed instructions and also professional resume writing service there, it's even pre-painted and decaled so it really is ready to fly straight out of the box.
Walker Effertz

Return to FPV