Antenna Question?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Antenna Question?

Postby Akcobra » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi. First post here. Not really a beginner, but I've been out of the hobby for a few years so between how much I've forgotten and how much stuff has changed I definitely feel like one! :D Anyway, when I was actively flying a few years ago all of my antennas were circular polarized. I flew cloverleafs on my models and a combination of cloverleafs, helicals, and a pepperbox on my ground station. Now that I've started getting back into it I'm going to focus on < 100 gram micros for a while, but they more or less come with linear polarized whip antennas. My question is am I better off using the circular polarized antennas I've already got on my base, or just throwing rubber ducky's on there? Is it still worth using the high-gain circular polarized antennas with the linear polarized antenna on the quad? I did buy a linear patch which seems to work a lot better than the rubber ducky's at least, but I'm not sure what to use as my 2nd antenna on the diversity rx.

And before anyone suggests going digital, yes that's hopefully in the plan down the road a ways, but I just retired so for now I'm just trying to leverage my existing equipment as much as possible until I get my finances sorted out.
Akcobra

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)