Turnigy 9x v2 - FrSky Module vs DIY

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Turnigy 9x v2 - FrSky Module vs DIY

Postby Shervin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Gentlemen,
I have had some problems with my Turnigy Stock 9x v2 tx, I have had signal drop out in certain locations around my house and .5-1s delays from the throttle/aileron/elevator/rudder controls. I have been reading the reviews and so on... Everyone seems to be pushing for the DIY Kit from FrSky. Personally I don't want to solder on the Tx as I plane to buy a Jr Radio in the future once the Turnigy breaks (due to use/accident). So a module is more desired.
I'm looking at this module
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... X_V2_.html

I plan on removing the stock 9x antenna, I shouldn't have much a problem installing the module correct? I mean everywhere I look people dont mention using the module with a v2 9x, only the v1 9x. the v2 9x most people recommend the DIY but i am trying to avoid that solution.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Shervin

Re: Turnigy 9x v2 - FrSky Module vs DIY

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 pm

If you do not want to solder the DIY kit directly to the board you can fit it inside the module case (once you take the Flysky out) and solder to the pins that plug into the board...

If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 am

Either way is fine, the hack module is less expensive but requires opening the case to install and doing some soldering work. Or you can do as Keith mentions above. The plug in module is nice too, I have one here for one of my 3 9x radios. Don't forget the third possibility, the FrSky DHT-U that includes an LCD screen with the TX and telemetry RX built into the unit, and works with all the FrSky receivers, but of course only the 2 way receivers will send back telemetry.

Can't say I understand the desire to go to a more expensive radio, down the road, but that's me. I much prefer my 9x with ER9X software and if the 9X breaks beyond repair... I'm only out a few $$$ and can replace it for about $60 these days. But, that is what I prefer and I enjoy tinkering with electronics. To each his/her own.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby quarry44 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 pm

The module you show is indeed the easiest way to install Frsky.However,you would still need to cut the antenna wire which comes from inside the transmitter,making it impossible to re-instate,unless you're able to solder it back on.
In any case,soldering is a very useful skill to have,so my advise is to learn how to solder.Do a few easy projects first,and you'll soon get the hang of it.Use only leaded solder.
Here's a good start:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/
quarry44

Postby pldb64 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:43 am

To make FrSky work with a 9X Tx the options are as follows:

Steps required to make a stock 9x Tx work with FrSky DJT (plug-in) Tx Module
1. Unplug the T9X Tx module from the rear of the case
2. Open up the Tx module caes (4 screws)
3. Either snip/cut or un-solder the antenna wire that runs into the body of the Tx
4. Open up the Tx body and remove the antenna from the body - you must do this step to avoid antenna interference from the plug in modules new antenna
5. Close up Tx body
6. Plug in DJT module and attach antenna
7. Set dip switches according to the Rx type you're using, bind to Rx, fly.

Steps required to make a stock 9x Tx work with FrSky DHT (DIY) Tx module
1. Unplug the T9X Tx module from the rear of the case
2. Open up the Tx module caes (4 screws)
3. Either snip/cut or un-solder the antenna wire that runs into the body of the Tx
4. Remove the boards that are in the Tx module - you wont need these again unless you decide to change back
5. Rescrew the lid on the now empty Tx module and plug it back into the Tx body
6. Open up the Tx body & install the DHT module as per Bruce/Paul's videos on YouTube - typically 3 holes to be drilled for 3-way mode selection switch, ops state LED & bind button. You get to decide where you want to place these. 3 wires to be soldered onto the Tx PCB.
6a. Keith has shown an alternative approach to installing the DHT inside the Tx body above - this approach still requires the routing of the wires for the 3-way mode select switch, LED and bind button to the inside of the Tx case and the routing of the antenna wire so its a little bit more involved that having the DHT on the inside, but it is a very tidy solution.
7. Make sure all installed wires from the DHT don't inhibit the movement of the gimbals
8. Close up the case
9. set 3-way mode swithc according to the Rx type you're using, bind to Rx, fly.

I've done both (to different Txs) and persoanlly prefer the cleaner apperance of using the DHT module. But i can't discern any performance difference between the two.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Joselowers » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 am

For those of you who have been looking for a new transmitter, this blog post will compare the Turnigy 9x v2 to the FrSky Module. We'll look at features and how they work uk bestessays, as well as which mode is better for you. If you're interested in learning more about these two transmitters, stay tuned!
Joselowers

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers