Video camera for your model

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Video camera for your model

Postby hakank » Sat May 08, 2010 4:25 pm

I just have to share an amazing little gem for those interested of fitting a video camera on-board. 15g of joy. I can't imagine what else to buy for those money. This link have a complete coverage of all aspects of this little miracle:

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

After you have read it you will realize it's one of the four different version you would like to have. (It can be a bit confusing at first)

/Håkan
hakank

Re: Video camera for your model

Postby UncleFesterUK » Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Used one these cameras today on a section of planes, great output and to my Eye, quality was also far better, i'm no expert, but straight off the plane onto the laptop.
far better than the flycam2..
UncleFesterUK

Postby jomarx » Mon May 31, 2010 3:25 am

For the cheapskates (like me :D), a keychain cam controlled by my TX is enough. I'm not yet confident enough of my flying skills to strap my expensive camera to it. :D
jomarx

Postby hakank » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:11 am

This is how it can look like. Unfortunately I managed to compress the movie too much so the quality of the picture cannot be compared with what's actually comes out of the camera: http://www.viddler.com/explore/hakank/videos/21/
The camera was located on the landing gear. A bit shaky here and there..

And this is an example of where not to put the camera, in front of the prop..:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/hakank/videos/20/

/Håkan
hakank

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 am

Hobbyking have now got these with a 2gig micro SD card for about $15!! (just bought one!)
Roger

Postby hakank » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Apparently the Hobbyking camera is #7 in the aforementioned link, ( http://www.chucklohr.com/808/ ), Looks like it should be possible to upgrade the firmware for better picture. On the other hand it might end up with the picture upside down. (Exactly what I have wanted the other day trying to hook it up to a friends chopper). Still I prefer my #3 camera as it's possible to choose the memory, buying a high performance one to get the best possible picture quality. In fact I bought on additional #3 camera in case the one I have break down or fell off. Only $10 shipped worldwide from Ebay. I just recently hooked it up on the wing to clear the prop and managed to convert the video to get a better quality when uploaded to YouTube. It can be watched here, in HD mode if chosen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZFOGzUSDI
I actually felt ill already a couple of minutes watching it on my 42" screen :mrgreen:
/Håkan
hakank

Postby Roger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:58 am

When I get mine, I'll do a video with it attached to my glider and post it up on Youtube at max res - then post a link here. If the video quality is halfway decent I'll be happy...!
Roger

Postby hakank » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:42 am

That will be interesting!

/Håkan
hakank

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:30 pm

...ok, it's arrived (Finally!) My order was dispatched to me from Zurich, not Hongkong as I expected, took 15 days to get here by registered post, slightly slower than usual from HK. As per typical, there are absolutely NO instructions, however only two buttons on the top of the camera are "real" the other two are dummies. I am assuming that just plugging the camera into the computer with the supplied adapter will charge the battery. I am about to go back and research the website previously mentioned in this thread to see if I can find out which button does what, and what the flashing yellow LED indicates.
Roger
Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 am

ok, well after my initial testing at the weekend, I'm not that impressed with the video quality - as per the website listed above, the camera does appear to duplicate a lot of its frames when there is a lot of motion going on. I've yet to full test the flash card to see if it is a fake or not, however I guess it is still true, you get what you pay for...! Will post up some video on youtube later tonight and put a link back here.
Roger
Roger

Next

Return to Non-RC